Luby’s was center of community, family for nearly 70 years

An outside photo of the original Luby's building on 9th Street.

For 69 many years, Luby’s was additional than a cafeteria acknowledged for mouth watering food. It was a hub wherever family members bonded, mates laughed and neighborhood leaders established upward paths for Wichita Falls’ future.

“Luby’s on Ninth St. opened in Oct 1951,” according to Monthly bill Daniel. His father Leroy Daniel owned and operated the company until finally Bill took the helm in 1983. “Up to that time the making experienced been Summer’s Shanty, a hamburger restaurant related to Scott’s Push-In on Jacksboro Hwy.”

In advance of moving “way out” to Ninth St. associates Ralph Luby and Joe Lauck had operated a Luby’s Cafeteria downtown on Indiana Ave. Leroy became a partner in what opened as Luby’s Suburban Cafeteria on Ninth he bought out Luby and Lauck in the early ‘50s.

The Luby's Cafeteria serving line is a familiar sight for many Wichitans.

During its peak several years Luby’s provide just about a 50 % million consumers and used 60 difficult-doing the job persons. All the things on the menu from salads to sides, entrees and desserts was manufactured from scratch.

Apart from the ketchup, which had to be Heinz.

Community legend has it that pastors, reverends and fathers of downtown church buildings timed the end of Sunday companies so their congregations would not get there at Luby’s simultaneously.

Next Post

Top 6 in The 6ix: Niagara Winery Restaurants

Getting out of the bustling downtown metropolis of Toronto and heading to Niagara Wine Region is a ought to do for any lover of fine wine and foods. Make the adventure even far more memorable by staying overnight, and eating at a number of of the amazing wineries that are […]